Question

creditKnewbie

Student: What's next to help boost my score and make the most of my credit? New card?
Hello! First of all- thank you.

I am a 25 year old graduate student almost out of school who has managed to get this far with no debt due to scholarships, working full-time, and loans + gifts from family members. I now live paycheck to paycheck (almost) with a little less than a grand off and on in savings. My credit score is 749, on my CK info I have an old Macy's card account that has been closed, an Amazon card I have used very occasionally, and a CareCredit card I have used for my pet's vet bills. I was into the idea of a cashback card like the Capital One Quicksilver or the Citi Double Cash and a travel card like the Capital One Venture card.

Once I am fully a part of the workforce and out of school in the next year, making money and not paying for school and living expenses so tightly, I am hoping to boost my credit further and get the most out of my card usage so I can successfully apply for a business loan in the next 5 years to open my own private practice.

What can I do to make the most out of what I have? Should I get a new cashback card or just start using the cards I have? What are my best financial choices at this point to gain credit score points without fear for messing everything up? I am anxious and excited to be making money, saving, and eventually buying a house as well.

Honestly, you are there! a 750 score is considered perfect by most lenders, just call some local banks to verify my claim.  If you are going into business why not try for some type of business credit card? As far as a house; take your time and research, FHA loans look very promising right about now. It only takes a score of about 630 to qualify and they usually offer the best rates with the lowest amount of money down required. (3% down of the total loan value) Also make sure you save up about 3-6 months worth of living expenses if you can, just as a personal safety net.  Good luck my friend... (Check out Dave Ramsey)