Question

foxlover74

student loans were written off back in 2008. how do I get them off of my credit report?

Most Helpful Response

How Were They written off?

Did you file for a permanent and total disability discharge?  That's tthe only way to get a student loan cancelled.  You might be able to get a forbearance or deferment, but the loans still have to be repaid.  They cannot be cancelled in bankruptcy, unlike other consumer loans.

Any debt will be on your credit record for 7 years before it disappears.  That's the law, and, unfortunately, nothing will change that.  A bankruptcy will remain on the credit record for 10 years.  Been there, and have since been working gradually on rebuilding my credit. 

Sudoha

They were federeal and forgiven and I stopped owing them in August of 2008 I sent letters to all 3 credit reporting agencies after but since then was homeless lost the letters I was told these loans would be removed from my credit report in 30 days in September of 2008 it's been years the loans still there o my repoert for 40K but I am/was totally and permanently disabled so it was completely forgiven I don't owe itt I don't know how to get it off my credit report I've hAD A STROKE SINCE AND CAN'T REMEMBER THE COMPANY THAT THE FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS WERE U DER ANY HELP APPRECIATED

THANKS