Question

CMarie109

Student Loans are the only thing KILLING my credit score, what do I do?
My credit score is SO LOW. 564 which is worse than like everyone on here and the only negative thing on my credit is STUDENT LOANS and DirectTV (long story, I owe less than $800). If I start paying my student loans, will my credit score go up??? Yes, I'm passed due, yes I'm out of school, and haven't paid a payment yet. But seriously? 28k is going to take forever to pay off, and I need to be approved for a car. I was rear-ended (totaled the car) and insurance only paid 4k. How can I get approved for a car when student loans are ruining my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

I call BS

I just graduated 1 year ago and I have not missed a payment so far but yet my 40k debt from student loans is keeping my score at 600 no matter what I do. I feel like Im being punished for getting a degree!

Sorry, but part of the score hurt is that you have not made payments on the loans and such negative comments on your credit report hurts your score.  Also, fix that Direct TV account, because that is hurtinig you, too.  Read the articles on this site so you can learn about credit and how to improve it.  Sure sounds like you need that education.

My story:

Cmarie109, I was in the same boat back in 2010-2011, I hadn't paid my loans right out of school because I was still paying for a place that i wasn't living at while working 40+ hours at minimum wage and helping my parents financially through their divorce.  My credit score had tanked to about a 548 but here are the steps I took to fix this.  I paid off all other debts first including past overdraft bank accounts and cable debt, I then called the department of education and worked out a 12 month payment plan to get the debt back in check.  If you didn't graduate I recommend looking at going back to school if you can at a local community college or university right around that twelve month mark because that will allow those loans to defer once more after that 12 month period,especially if it is hurting you financially it may bode a better opportunity and a second chance, otherwise you can plan on paying your rate afterwards (Because that 12 months is catching up on interest, they will usually work with you and if the first person you call doesn't, politely hang up and try calling to get someone else that will work with you.)  Right before paying on these loans again i saved up $300 and went to my local bank and started a "secured" or "pre-paid" credit card that i still have to this day, I applied for a newer vehicle in 2014, and now hold about 8 credit cards that i use sparingly on a low budget (but i always keep my balances owed at or near zero by the months end.) Your financial health depends on your habits but try different things and research research research, don't expect others to help you, get out there and find your solution!  Hope this helps a bit!