Question

mkorlowicz

Student Loans and home mortgage approval
I was looking into buying a home with my fiance. Will my student loans affect our chances of getting approved for a home mortgage? I am currently enrolled in school, so I don't have a monthly payment on my student loans.

Most Helpful Response

With an FHA mortgage, most lenders will not count the student loan payment against your debt to income ratio if you can prove that they are deferred for at least another 12 months.  However, some lenders will still require that the estimated payment be taken into account. You will have to call around and ask some lenders what their guidelines are, or talk to a mortgage broker who can do the work for you.