Question

Jerrellman

Student Loan Transfer Loophole?
Once the debt is transferred to a collection agency, is it still protected against bankruptcy like student loans are?

I'm in that catch-22 disabled veteran gray area. I am not totally disabled, but cannot work. Outside student loan debt, I owe less than $3000 altogether to three non-student loan types. So going bankrupt has not been much of an option for me.

However, if I allow my student loans to transfer to a collection agency and then could file bankruptcy to clear those out, I might actually be able to use my VA loan and get a house instead of renting rooms to live in. Student loan debt has my credit score so low (around 450) that I cannot even get into low-income apartments.