Question

gov17

Student loan pre-payment strategy
I'm considering a large pre-payment on my student loan such that I save on interest (after evaluating opportunity costs), but also maintain a nominal principal over the life of the loan to keep building my credit history. Would anyone know what minimum nominal principal I should maintain? I've heard that lenders/agents and credit agencies require ~$2,000 of outstanding principal to continue reporting the loan. Thanks.

No, there is no minimum amount to have your loan reported. If you can, pay the loans off. There are better and safer ways to build credit than having a bunch of debt hanging over your head when you can't foretell what the future may bring. You could get a small installment loan for a thousand dollars or whatever and a couple of credit cards.