Question

Jenni0010

Student loan on time payments after BK
Will my on time student loan payments help rebuild my credit after a bankruptcy better than attempting to get a secured card? I'd really rather not use any credit if I don't have to until I qualify for my student loan forgiveness for state workers. I only have 3 more years until they are all forgiven but I would like to be preparing to buy a house right after.

Any on-time payments improve one's credit score but you will not qualify for a mortgage without a positive credit history.  Please take the time to read the articles on this site so you can gain a good understanding of how credit works and what is needed for a good score.  This knowledge will benefit you for the rest of your life. It has sure helped me!

You will benefit greatly by having the secured card while you are rebuilding post BK. Having the card does not mean you have to carry a balance on it. It will help to start raising your scores even as you are working on your student loans. Stay on time with the student loans and obtain the secured card all with the end goal of buying a home and you will see benefits from this as you work towards your goal of buying a home.