Question

IHateEquifax

Student loan forgiveness - does it stick around or fall off?
On the loan forgiveness and discharge program, for the total and permanent disability, “Are a veteran who has been determined to be unemployable due to a service-connected condition.” Myfedloan.org states what it will do is “Cancels your obligation to repay the balance of your student loans.”

Now the question is does this fall off my credit report all together, or stick around for X years?

I was under the assumption that students loans were just one loan you pay back, not each separate one, and I have a 7 month delinquency for ALL student loans ( 12 ) , so according to the creditkarma model I have missed 84 payments all together and it puts me in the next to last bracket “You've been on time with 67.5% of your payments. That's the same as your last update.”
These are my only missed payments on my credit history period but are killing me here.

I have been repairing my credit starting around low 400 score and now close to 610. We are on a fixed income, disability, and I am looking to move us into our 1st home, but I really need this fixed.

Most Helpful Response

Usually, during a discharge of the student loan, the past deliquency would be deleted, although its not a guarantee.   If the prior negative information is still there, consider filing a dispute to have the information adjusted.   I have not seen anywhere where its guaranteed to be removed.   Also, if you made prior payments,  on the discharge, you may be able to file for refund of amounts previously paid.   Thus, if you were entitled to a refund, this would indicate you had no balance due, thus no obligation to pay.   You should consult with an attorney who has vast knowedge of the student loan process.