Question

msmith23tu

Stuck at score of 749
My trans union credit score has been stuck at 749 for over 9 months. I have continued to make all of my monthly payments on time, pay off my credit card balances each month (no interest ever accrued), keep my credit card utilization between 1-10%, and have had no other credit activity during this time except for regular payments made on my outstanding debt (car and student which during that 9 month period went from a balance of 22,000 to 13,000 with accelerated payments). Why can I not get my score any higher than 749?

Someone suggested to me recently that I should allow a very small balance on my credit card to remain 1 month for which I will be charged a tiny amount of interest. Is this true? Is the fact that I pay NO credit card interest holding me back?

Have you read the articles on this site and used the interactive tools here so you can see what could happen to your credit score over time?  Credit Karma was set up to provide the education needed to improve one's credit score.  Sometimes it takes a little time.

Paying NO credit card interest is not holding you back unless-----you are paying off EVERYTHING  you charged during the month even if it has not yet shown up on the monthly statement.  THAT can hurt your score.  Only pay the total amount due as shown on the statement.  You won't be paying interest on the rest of the charges because they haven't been included in the bill yet.

Please read the articles and try the financial tools so you can see online what can help or hurt your credit score, then make the decisions that will help.