Question

msgray

Stopped Paying for Transunion Service Scores Tumbled
I hate to say this but it has happened at least twice. I pay for the Transunion membership and over a year ago when my credit card for the payment expired, the score took a major hit. I called and spoke with them they said it was just a coincidence. I gave them another card number and the score gradually improved.

My credit card expired again. I saw both my Transunion and Credit karma scores take really hard hits. It went from 769 to 726 at a time when it actually should've gone up after I'd paid off a 15k loan.

They keep saying the aid membership has NOTHING at all to do with our scores but I can't buy this happening twice. The last time I paid up and the score recovered. This time I simply canceled the TU service and the score continues to decline almost daily. Except for here at CK all of the others EQ and EX are going up while TU slides downward. Seems I am expected to pay for the service so that I can log in and review it. They even send emails to me "You don't know what going on with your credit."

REALLY!?!?

Most Helpful Response

Dear poor misguided

TU isn’t providing you credit with their membership fees.  Meaning your membership isn’t reported and your score is not affected by it.  So cancelling or taking on a membership with them doesn’t affect your score. 

I suggest digging deeper into your credit and noting the changes in the actual report from month to month before claiming the sky is falling and your credit score is going down as a result of the sky falling.

You answered your own question...

One cause of a score dropping is when an account is closed.  That loan that you paid off is now a closed account.  Your number of acccounts lowered, your average age of accounts likely lowered as well.  

You'll see your score steadily improve (assuming on time payments for all other accounts)