Question

creditapprentice

Stop being authorized user on high-balance card? Can I get back on later?
Okay, so the "should I get off my parents' account" question has been asked a lot, but I haven't seen as much info on this situation: the credit card I'm on has a VERY high balance.

My parents made me an authorized user on this card several years ago. Since then, hard times hit, no late payments but their utilization on this card is 80%+. On the bright side, I'm out of college now, have a good job, paying down my student loan and paying off my own credit card each month.

I'm looking to get an auto loan now, so I want the best score possible. If I get off their account, my utilization drops from 60's to teens, but average age also plummets from 9 years to 3. Would this be a net positive for my score?

And a follow up: Suppose I do it and it does hurt my score, can I hop back on and be back where I started?

Most Helpful Response

It is up to the lender if they want to add you back on or not, but I wouldn't expect any problems. I think if it were me, I would take the gamble and get removed from the card. Then wait for the change to reflect before going for an auto loan.

creditapprentice

Thanks for the helpful response! This is what I was leaning toward, but I was afraid to do it without a second opinion. That's also a good point about waiting for the change; I'm glad you pointed that out.