Question

Posted in Taxes

kdub2024

Statute of Limitations on federal debt?
I have a DFAS debt from Jan. 2006. They have taken my tax returns over the years but I have never actually made a payment. This past year I began working for the Federal Government and I tried to find the debt and begin making payment. I tried contacting DFAS, Pay.gov, and other government agencies to set up payments. Nobody could find my debt. I tried to go the finance and payroll to department at work, they sent an inquiry and it came back saying that they could not find my debt to set up a payroll payment. I recently seen that Jan. 2016, exactly 10 years later, that DFAS charged off my debt. "profit and loss" Will they still take my income taxes this year? Is this debt gone? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks

Chances are that it was charged off

but be prepared you may recieve a 1099 MISC for the balance that was charged off.  You will have to pay taxes on it as Uneraned income.

This is common with charge off totaling over $500.