Question

Dolcezza116

Statute of Limitations Expired on the Debt. How long can a debt collector continue to report?
I have a debt whose statute of limitations expired in 2015. (My states SOL laws are 6 years). The debt collector purchased the debt months before it expired and is still reporting on the account. I keep reading conflicting information. I know they can't come after me in court, but can they still report the debt to the credit agencies? If so for how long? Another 7 years? Does anyone know how I can get this off of my credit report?

That debt should be dropping off the credit report soon because they are part of your credit history for 7 years from the date they were closed or first became overdue.

I do suggest reading the articles on this site for factual information on how credit works because teaching about credit is the purpose of Credit Karma.

You also need to take into consideration if there are any events that have occurred to reset the "timer" on that debt. These events would be called out in your states SOL laws. I just went through a simialr issue and engaged a local attorney to assist me because the debt buyer served me a small claims summons 3 years after the small claims suit was filed with the courts. I paid the attorney $300 to deal with this issue over a $4000 debt and was worth every penny.

SOL laws can be tricky...