Question

Jackjny47

Statute of Limitations and collections
I had a collections pop up on my credit report saying it opened on Sept 2014. But, when i called the Collection agency to ask them about this collection they played me a New York State Mandatory Recording that notified me that the collection was passed the Statute of Limitations(SOL). I stopped the call at that point. I understand they cannot sue me for this collection after the SOL is up. But, why are they reporting the start date for the collection as Sep 2014? Is this illegal?

If the SOL has passed, they cannot attempt to collect on the debt.  To do so (and this is what it sounds like they are trying) is "re-ageing" the account, which is illegal. The collector may have received the account on the recorded date but the date you want to see is the date of last payment and the date it is supposed to fall off your report, and both of these should show on the credit reports.