Question

greensamblue

statute of limitations
In 2001 I got a ticket in a construction zone out of state. I sent in the payment but am told it was not enough for the ticket. I never heard anything about the ticket and to my knowledge it was taken care of . After 14 years I got a letter from a collection company. Do I need to pay this? Is there no limitation on these fines? It does not show on my credit report.

I do not believe that there is a SOL on fines or any other government related debt. Check the laws with the state where you got the ticket, but you are probably going to have to pay it.

I just did a search and that ticket will have to be paid.  The only SOL limits the time between commission of the 'crime' and issuance of the ticket.  After the ticket is issued, it remains something that needs to be paid.