Question

VC1995

Statement reads $0.00 Balance, BUT...
Debt collector has been getting $100.00 a month for a couple years now. In November the account due was $100.00 and the account balance showed $0.00. When I contacted the office for a letter to prove I was done paying the balance on the account they stated I still owed $100.00. I asked them to delete all account information that would allow they to debit my account. They said they would be sending me to collection for the money owed. How can they say I owe money when the statement said $0.00. How do I deal with this...who should I contact 1st to dispute it. The collection agency wants nothing else to do with me.

Debt collectors can be extremely tricky and often do not follow the laws, that is whey RECORD KEEPING on your end is extremely important. If you have not kept any records of balances and payments, then you may be in trouble. At this point, you should contact a consumer law attorney that handles FDCPA cases in your state. FDCPA is "fair debt collection practices act".