Posted in Taxes

State Tax Lien filed after the payment plan was established
Tax lien for years 2011-2012 was filed with State Circuit Court against my ex husband and me (we did joint tax return) in February 2015.
According to our records tax years 2011-2012 are part of the payment plan agreement established between my ex husband and Comptroller of the state in October 2013. The garnishment payments were being deducted form my ex husband paychecks twice a month. At the time when the tax lien was filed with the court in February 2015, the garnishment payments were being made on a regular bases. We have copies of his paystubs showing the deductions.
Also, by the payment plan agreement any tax refunds are applied to the tax debt. Therefore, tax refund for tax year 2014 was applied towards tax debt for years 2011-2012.

My question is why the tax lien was filed with the court if the payment plan was established already? Or was it filed incorrectly?