Question

cheshirecat0666

starting to look at home loans!! help!!
my fiance and I are starting to look at homes and our options for home loand

I have 5 accounts listed as closed, and 3 current cards - 2 are mine, 1 my mother added me onto the card without knowing....i'm sure it's bring my score down since my other two cards don't have a high balance on them - as for the other cards that say closed - why are they still on my report? it's been years since they were closed!

Closed accounts can continue to report for 7 & 1/2 years from date they were paid or first went delinquent (if collection account), whichever is later.  Regarding the card your mom added you to, is that a good account or a negative account?  If it is negative, simply call the card and tell them to remove you as an authorized user.  If it is a good account, leave it alone, it is helping you.  You need to learn more about what builds up good credit and all the items that go into your credit score.  Visit www.credit.about.com and start reading.  It's a free site, no signup needed.  Best of luck to you both!