Question

JCA1991

Start using previously unused store card vs applying for credit card & getting another hard inquiry
I recently applied for a credit card and was denied. Now, I have a hard inquiry on credit. Plus I just moved have 5 other hard inquiries based solely on accounts opened for this move (rent, cable, internet, etc.).

I do NOT want another hard inquiry on my account (especially if I'm just going to get denied). Credit is in the high 600s. I have an 100% payment history and only wanted the card to increase my credit.

Should I use some of the store cards that I have (only used each of them once) or try to apply for another credit card? Which is better and safer for credit purposes?

Use the store cards for small purchases and pay them in full. If your store card is the only card you have it's factoring in to your Average Age of Accounts. Not using it could cause the retailer to close it and it would negatively hit your credit.

If you do want another card in the future and don't want to get denied, use the pre-qualification information on sites like Capital One. If it says "we don't have a card/offer to match you with" then don't apply. If it says you're specifically pre-approved you'll likely get an approval on the full application.