Question

skcin7

Sprint says I owe them $77 and reported me to collections. However, I say I owe Sprint $0. Help!
Sprint says I owe them $77 and reported me to collections. However, I say I owe Sprint $0, and refuse to pay them out of principle. They are saying I owe them money for a month I didn't use their service, when I already had switched to another mobile carrier. I've called Sprint numerous times and attempted to settle this bogus charge, but they keep saying I owe $77, and refuse to remove it.

As a result, Sprint has sent the debt to a collections agency, which now is negatively effecting my credit score.

Sprint is just 1 company. Anybody can say that somebody else owes them anything, but that does not make it true. I owe Sprint $0. How can I best remedy this situation? What are my options?

Obviously, I could just pay the $77 and get it removed that way, but I don't want to pay them because they are wrong. What are my other options for disputing this bogus charge, and getting the collections account removed from my credit score?

On a related note, NEVER USE SPRINT... THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!

Most Helpful Response

Since you didn't follow my advice before you probably wont follow it now, but here it goes anyway. If you are determined to right this wrong, speak with a consumer law attorney to see if there is any way that they can help you. If they can't help you or if they want too much money to represent you for a seventy seven dollar debt, then try to get a PAY FOR DELETE AGREEMENT with the collection company, you will have to pay them the seventy seven dollars. Hopefully they will agree to a PAY FOR DELETE if not it will be stuck on your reports until either seven years has passed since the original delinquency with Sprint or if the collection co changes their mind about accepting a PFD, or it may possibly be sold to another collection agency in a couple years and maybe you will get lucky and they will accept a pay for delete. If this is not your debt, I understand your frustration, but on the other hand seventy seven dollars is much cheaper than the costs that you are going to go through. Either try a pay for delete or call an attorney, the Better Business Bureau, the attorney general's office in your state, bureaus of consumer protection, etc. Be aware that if you put anything but the truth on any reports that you file with the government you will be in a lot of trouble.

To add more information about this, the collections agency is called I.C. SYSTEM INC., and the debt has been reported to and is negatively effecting my Equifax rating, but has not been reported to or is effecting TransUnion.