Question

mlishigaki

Spouse died. Hospital bills
Hello. I have a complicated situation. I was married late 2015. Me and the guy separated months before the incident. He kept avoiding me, until the day of his death. I did not know anything about his death, until his relative told me. Now I am in a large sum of medical bills that are not mine. How do I handle this? I cannot pay his hospital bills costing over 150k? His relatives are also ignoring me ever since they saw the amount. I am shocked, still do not know how to handle this alone? Please help. It says it can affect my credit score? I've worked hard to get debt off. Wht attorney can I go to? Do I send a forgiveness letter? Where do I start?

If you were still legally married to him when he died, you will want to speak with a bankruptcy lawyer (most do free initial consultations). I say this because if you're still legally married to the guy, then unfortunately you're still liable for any debts he incurs as part of the marriage.
--

It sucks (no, really, it sounds rotten), but unless you can produce a divorce decree, you're unfortunately going to want to explore bankruptcy as the only way out from under those bills. Then, I'd unload my opinions of the matter onto his relatives.

I would not say this, but I suppose it depends on state laws.

First, check your state laws. It will depend on your state, but you may not be responsible for these bills, they would be able to take the money from the estate, but not from you. They could go after life insurance policies, property if any, etc. No need to write any forgiveness letters, that won't do you any good. Speak to an attorney and see what they have to say. They may be able to go after things that you jointly owned, but they cannot come after you personally to pay the bills at least in my state and I would guess this is the same everywhere, but I am not sure.