Question

amandaa12

Spending over 30% of $300 credit limit
Can someone please answer this for me?!?!

I have a fair credit score (671) but the only credit that I have is a car loan that I'm still paying off so I decided to apply for a cc to earn some points but I'm only 20 and have a short history so I got a $300 limit. I can easily pay off 300 every month but every one keeps saying not to go over 20-30% of your limit (which totally makes sense if you have a higher limit and don't want to get in over your head).

With such a low limit can't I just spend closer to the limit? What does spending over 30% really do to your credit score? (ex. I spend $250 out of $300 on my card but pay it off every month?)

Most Helpful Response

Your utilization counts for 30% of your credit score and any time your utilization exceeds 30%, your score takes a hit.  Ideally, keep about 1-3% balance on the card and your scores will increase over the next few months.  After a year or so, they'll probably increase your credit limit without you having to ask, and then you can keep a higher balance if needed.

I can tell you what it does I got 2 brand new 0% APR cards (which is the ONLY time you go over 30% and when you know your not looking at any large purchases for the next 12 months).....I racked up 97% and 91% utilization had a third card @ 0% overall utilization 84% credit score went from 769 (when utilization was 6-7%) to 684 thats 85 point drop.....promo rate is up in 2 months knocked utilization down to 57% score went up 42 points to 726 pretty good given 57% utilization but with only 2 months left need to get it down to 0% (because most have a clause were they back charge you everything if its not paid off and I don't want to pay 6k @ 20% interest haha)