Question

DCHome

Someone else signed up for credit monitoring in my name?
I received a notice in the mail (snail mail) from one of the major credit monitoring services thanking me for signing up for their credit monitoring service. Except I had not signed up for their services. I called the customer service number and they confirmed that an account had been opened in my name (with my address and birthdate). She wasn't able to confirm whether the social security number on the account matched mine (she didn't have access to that information), but the credit card number used to pay for the subscription did not match any of mine, and nor had I seen any such charges on any of my accounts. She was able to cancel the account immediately. She also noted that the account was supposed to be an "all digital" account, and thus it was strange I'd received a letter in the mail at all. But thank goodness I had!

Has anyone else had this happen before? Why would someone want to track my credit (rather than just steal my identity)? What can I do about it, besides change all of my passwords and add fraud alerts to all of my credit reports (which I did right away)?

This sure doesn't sound right at all. Did you research them to make sure they were a legit company? Do you have any stalkers? This is just strange.

Let me add, that this would be a form of identity theft and you could notify the police and they could find out who owns the credit card that paid for the account.