Question

rayl0627

Social Security Benefits And Student Loans
I am on full disability. My only income is from a social security check each month. I have a debt collector who has been trying to collect on one of my federal student loans. I have no money other than my social security. Can an exception be made for this debt collector to tap into my social security to collect on this debt only because its a debt owed to the federal government unlike other private debts?

In same boat

Employment pay is place to stay, small social security check which will get even smaller when Medicare kicks in. Have medical bills incurred while unemployed after bicycle hit & run which also srcrambled my brain so I had to drop out of school making me unemployable. Have not been able to replace car windows that were broken over a year ago because of tight budget.

Request Permanent Disability Discharge

If you are unable to benefit from your education due to being precluded from participating in substantial gainful employment, you can apply for a Permanent Disability Discharge of federal student loans.