Question

Ubawa

So why am i being penalized for simply applying for a pre approved credit card?
I am not fully sure why I would be penalized for simply applying for a "quote unquote" credit card that I was pre approved for. I feel like that was a set up because I am trying to reestablish my credit in order to receive points and I do not need any points being deducted. Why should I have to have more hard inquiries added to my credit just by me simple applying for something?

Hi Ubawa,

A hard inquiry is added to your credit report any time you apply for a new line of credit. This happens whether you were pre-approved or not, and whether you receive the new line of credit or not. Your credit report is a summary of your credit activity, and any requests for new lines of credit are documented as such. The inquiry will fall off of your report in 2 years.