Question

xds94

So recently I found out that the Citi Forward Card For College Students has been discontinued.
I just found out that the credit card that I recently obtained by Citibank has been discontinued and replaced by a new one. When I got my card Citi was offering 1 point for every dollar spent on any purchase, now they offer that plus twice the points on entertainment and dining. I also found out that they now allow unlimited points and they do not expire something not available in my card. I called Citi to see if I could get that offer in my card, but they said I couldn't, and the only way I could was by applying for the new card and closing the old one. I opened the card on February and I don't want to go through that process again because I am afraid of hurting my credit score. What should I do?

Most Helpful Response

first off your a college student no expects you to have credit or even decent credit at that 700+ so your already one step ahead of 95% of your peers....and if you don't already have 2 lines credit (can be anything 1 credit card + 1 car loan...1 CC + 1 student loan...2 CC's) you need to get a 2nd one this will maximize your score potential...you may take a small drop from the hard inquiry but aafter 6 months you will notice a nice boost of 20-30 pts in your score if you pay on time and keep utilization under 20% preferabally 10%....and since your looking at getting the nicer version your old card you make that your main card just pay it off everytime you hit between 10%-20% credit utilization....and then pay it in full when the buill comes in....and use your old card once every 6 months to keep it active using minimum 1% utilization so it registers.....ie: $1000 limit make sure to use minimum $10.00 not $9.90 or even $9.99 but $10 plus (reconfigure for your card limit) or some companies won't register it as 1% and that will crush your utilization 0% is worae then 35% 

xds94

I was thinking on opening a Discover It for college student as they have an amazing reward system and really good benefits. But I am not sure if to stick to student cards or go to regular types of cards? I am a part time worker and full time student as well and I've been able to manage my cards pretty well, so I am not sure if to move to the next level now or maybe in a year or two.

Also I was really lucky to come accross the Capital One Secured Credit Card, I've had it for less than a year and my score is in the 660+ zone. 

Thanks for your advice!

It depends on what you want. You may be safe if you open the new card and don't close to the old one. I still don't know what type of impact this will have on your credit score though....

xds94

Your right. I won't close that card, I will wait a year or so until changing it to another Citi Card. But when thinking of another card I am not sure if to stick to student cards or to go with regular cards. What do you recommend? I work part time and I am also a full time student. 

Thanks for your advice!