Question

DKRow

So I consolidated all my credit cards, do I close the cards I consolidated??

Most Helpful Response

No!! No!! No!!

Do not close the consolidated cards. This will have an impact on a couple of factors.

1. it will decrease your amount of available credit and as a result, any revolving credit you do use will show as a bigger % of what is available, thus lowering your score if over 30%.

2. It will decrease the average age of your credit, and this will have a negative impact on your score.

Definitely Not!!

You'll see your credit score drop like a rock if you do.  As is explained in the educational articles on this site, a higher credit score is based partly on how much credit you have been granted.  The more, the better.  Please take the time to read the information on this site.  I found it to be very helpful and my score has greatly improved.  

I would not, it will lower your average age of credit for some models, and will in the long run once they drop off no matter the scoring model.  Keep them open and use them once a year to keep open.

Question should be, for what reason(s) you want to close them? is it you think doing that will somehow help your scores/credit profiles? Or because they have high annual/monthly fees, are the issuers difficult to deal with, you have other issues with the card(s). Credit scores is one thing, however the peace of mind is another.