Question

mattcornelius

so creditkarma uses transunion, quizzle uses experian, what uses equifax?

Most Helpful Response

Credit Sesame Uses Experian

As stated above:  Credit Karma--TranUnion; Credit Sesame--Experian; and Quizzle--Equifax.

Just use the free services as a gauge.  Experts will say the reason to check all three is to see if there is a huge discrepancy among them.  Forgive me for assuming, but it seems that most of us who have tapped into these services have damaged credit.  I would not recommend purchasing any of the alerts or extra stuff.  Remember, if marks on your credit are valid--no one can have them removed for you--it just takes time.  The damage becomes less as time goes on.  Just stay on top of your current credit.  Also, try for a secured card--it does help, because it increases your revolving credit.

If you're about to buy a house--I'd say just bite the bullet, pay $45 and purchase all three scores because you never know what bureau the lender will use.  But, if you're just watching because you are patiently waiting for the bad debt to fall off, use these free services as a gauge.  Also, if you happen to qualify for Discover--you get your FICO in your monthly statement.  Catch 22 though--Discover tends to require higher credit score.

Last note on Secured Cards--look into Wells Fargo--they have a Secured Card that graduates into a regular card--which is fabulous.  Once it "graduates" after 6, 9, or 12 months of good history they send you a check for the amount you secured, but the available credit remains the same.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the advantage to checking all three keeps me much more diligent about my spending and mindful of my credit.  It's kind of nice to have a credit barometer that you can (hopefully!) watch go up over time and with good behavior!

Good luck to everyone.  Lastly, check out what this guy has to say, his videos are helpful if not just informative.  http://www.thecreditsolutionprogram.com

Not connect to him at all--just found his videos helpful!

Again, good luck!

**UPDATE**

In one of my previous posts, I said that there were no free sites for equifax, but that was a few years ago. Quizzle now uses Equifax's Vantage Score 3.0 and no longer uses Experian's CE score.

Here is a list of free credit score sites (no credit card needed) along with the credit bureau they use:

• www.creditkarma.com - TransUnion
  • www.quizzle.com - Equifax
  • www.creditsesame.com - Experian
  • www.credit.com - Experian

Just to let you know, your credit score and fico scores are two separate scores.

Credit sesame shows you your Experian report and calculates your score according to its algorithm. It updates monthly and has been accurate in terms of score and information.

Just to be clear, your credit score and fico scores are different. They will be different numbers.

Equifax

Equifax has a free score risk on it's site.