Question

Srivas32

Singe mom...no income, should I file bancrupcy?
I am a single mother of 3 and I have not received any child support in over a year. My youngest child is 10 moths old and the oldest is 6. I cannot find a job that pays well enough to afford daycare for the 2 youngest babies. I want to fix my credit but I don't know where or how to start. Should I file bankruptcy? If so, how do I start the process?

Don't panic.

First thing is that child support is a court order.  Since you are not working, you should be able to get assistance through legal aid to get assistance in getting the child support order to have "teeth."  It is his responsibility to provide for the children it sounds like he is being a deadbeat. 

Bankruptcy will not fix your credit for the good, it is a bad mark on your credit report for 10 years, so don't do it.  Do you have relatives or good friends who might be able to help with child care?  Maybe you could do a trade-off with a good child care provider using the skills you may have as payment (bookkeeping, house cleaning, yard work).  The county should have some good leads, and maybe even some assistance.

Don't worry right now about building good credit.  Your primary job is taking proper care of the children.  Use your earnings to provide housing (that includes the utilities) food and transportation and the things children really need.  Brainstorm with other Moms and see what creative workable ideas you can come up with to make your lives a bit easier.