Question

jandb1215

Signing up for a new card to improve rating
Hello. I am at 698. I would like to raise my scores. There are a few card offers that say they can help me to better my credit. My concerns are if I try to apply but get rejected. Will that hurt my scores? Thanks for any info.

Most Helpful Response

Do some reading on "Hard Inquiries". When you apply for credit you get a "Hard Inquiry" and that dings your scores slightly. Do not go by the card recommendations here, they are basically advertisements. If you want to apply for a card, do your homework on the card, read as many reviews as you can on the card on here and across the net to get a feel as to whether or not you would be approved before applying. Also be aware that there are different scoring models and versions for credit, so the score that you give here, may not be the score that the lender will use. Also remember that more than scores go into a lenders decision, your overall credit profile is very important as well.