Question

Legolaselfeyes

should the lawsuit I filed bankruptcy because of still be on my credit report after being discharged
I filed bankruptcy in 2012, it's been discharged and I'm building my credit back. But the lawsuit is still in my report, it says it was discharged in bankruptcy but it's still putting a derogatory mark on my record. Should I dispute it or what?

Most Helpful Response

It's my understanding that negative items can stay on your report for 7 years.  It has only been 4 years in your case, so you still have 3 more years before it will be removed.  Your bankruptcy, depending on which Chapter you filed, will stay on your report for 10 years.  Anything discharged in the bankruptcy remains on your credit report for 7 years.  Just because it was discharged in the bankruptcy doesn't make it go away immediately.