Question

MademoiselleJuli

Should my husband get his own credit cards?
I have very poor credit that I am working on rebuilding. Meanwhile, my husband just doesn't have credit--he's never had credit cards, and only has a small amount of private student loan.

Is it better, in terms of building credit, if I put him on to my cards, or if he gets his own?

If you have cards in good standing, with on time payments and hopefully, low utilization, yes, add your husband as an authorised user.   If you have one with poor payment history, don't add him to those cards.  As he has no credit, the age of the credit would not be a factor for him, so whatever he inherits on a good card would be good for him.   And, yes, it is good for him to have his own card.   We must face reality that marriages don't last forever (I hope that yours will stand as a model for us all), thus, husbands and wifes should have indepent cards of each other.  Thus, when things do go bad, one of you are not left with no credit whatsoever.