Question

amm0

should i wait till my score is better to get a mortgage?
I want to buy my first home and i am working on my credit score right now. this site says i have 611 score. should i wait till my score is higher... like say around 720-750 to try to buy or just buy when my score is 620 (or whatever it is to be able to be approved) would that even affect my monthly payments on a loan? Sorry if this is a really dumb question but I'm just starting to learn about this.

Most Helpful Response

Oh yes, absolutely. Even a few points could make the difference between thousands of dollars in interest. You will save a lot of money with a higher score by qualifying for a lower interest rate.

amm0

is there an ideal score i should shoot for or just the best i can get?

Coming from being in your shoes, I would surely wait. I had a banker and a realtor to help me with some great tools on this matter. For sure you should wait, not only should you try to increase your credit score, you want to make sure you dont have alot of debt hanging over our head. The more debt and low credit score you have, you become a risky liability as a borrower. Your home own insurance is based on your credit score that is required by 99% of Morgages via the bank. You will not get the amount you want also if your credit score is low. They will give you what they think is the best ratio againt your debt. You want to factor in Property taxes, Home Owners Insurances, Escrow and other factors.