Question

dvasquez079

Should I try to pay off a closed account from 2010?
I am trying to fix my credit because I am trying to get a house.
In April of 2017, it will 7 years since this account has been closed. I am debating whether I should try to pay it off now or if I should wait til April.

You would be wise to wait. Paying accounts do not remove them from your credit reports unless a "pay for delete agreement" is made and they can be tough to get. Do some reading on "early exclusion" as Transunion will sometimes remove accounts six months prior to the seven year mark. Equifax and Experian will sometimes remove accounts three months early. Have you done everything else that you can do to improve your credit? Read all that you can about how to do this and put the home purchase off for a while if necessary to give you time to get your credit in order. If you really want to purchase a home you will spend time everyday reading all that you can on credit.