Question

bonespock

Should I try to get this removed from my report? If so, how?
I graduated from college in December of 2008. My roommate in the time(who I never spoke too much, and haven’t spoken to since I graduated) was going to be moving out of my apartment at the end of the spring semester, and I was moving back home with my parents for Grad school, so I gave him my log in (with a new password, of course) for my Reliant Electric account, trying to be a nice guy, and went along my merry way.
Well a couple of years ago, I was trying to buy a house, and when they checked my credit, I discovered that my roommate had not paid $280 and it had moved to collections in 02/11. Of course, it wrecked my credit, and at the time, I was told that messing with it would make it current and to just let it expire.
Well, recently, I was thinking it about it again. I am sure I could get some proof that I moved out of that address before the cost was incurred. Should I try and dispute it at this point? If so, how?

Sorry, but the account was apparently still in your name and had your Social Security number connected with it, so it will still effect your credit report and will be reported as a delinquent account until it drops off about  2/2018 (7 years from the date the account became delinquent). It would have been better if roommate had been required to put the utilities in his name, but that's the past and can't be changed.