Question

AdGirl21

Should I transfer my balance to a card that only has a slightly lower interest rate?
My Capital One card has a 24.9% interest rate, and is my oldest credit card (over 4 yrs now). The balance on it is only around $300, which I plan to pay off within the next month. I can transfer balances to my Capital One card for no fee and the interest rate is my current rate for purchases (24.9%).

My Sear/Citi Bank card has a 25.24% interest, and I've only had that card for about year and a half. The balance on it is $1,400.

The difference in the interest rates is minimal, but would it be beneficial for me to transfer the Sears/Citi balance over to the Capital One card? Since there is no fee to do it?

Or I'm considering transferring half the Sears/Citi card balance to the Capital One, which will help reduce my percentage of utilization on the Sears/Citi card. And I will continue to make payments on both.

Just need some advice. I'm trying to find the most efficient way to pay off all my cards without opening another new card. I just opened a Citi card that has 0% interest on purchases and transfers for the next 18 months, but unfortunately you cannot transfer balances from one Citi card to another Citi card. Otherwise I would transfer the Sears/Citi balance to that card...

Advice? Suggestions??

Most Helpful Response

Yes, I would do that but ONLY if you make sure there are NO transfer fees involved from Capitol One.  They usually charge a percentage of the amount for a balance transfer/payoff, even with zero % interest (at least all mine do, and I've transfered balances many times).  If they DO charge a fee (which I bet they do, read the fine print), then it isn't worth it,  you're not saving anything.