Question

thugjt

should i transfer balance to lower rate card when I am trying to pay off all credit cards?
I set up a schedule (on my own, not with a credit service) that will get all of my credit card debt paid off in two years. This is split over just two cards. The card with a lower rate has increased my credit limit by an amount that is essentially two scheduled payments on the other card. Should I transfer as much balance to the lower rate card as I can, and still make the scheduled payment to both cards? Or should I leave well enough alone and just stick to the plan? I am not using either card.

Most Helpful Response

Since I don't know any of the information on the credit cards, it's not easy to give advice on how to go about it.  That you're not using the cards right now and are intelligent enough to not be paying a "credit repair" service when you can put that money to resolving the debt is very commendable.

I don't know if this is possible in your case, but I have 3 cards that were charging almost 20% interest and I managed (surprise!) to get a credit card with higher credit limit and lower interest rate and would charge 0% interest on balance transfers for 12 months.  This is enabling me to get all 3 card balances paid off faster than normal just by paying what my previous total payments were on this account.  If you can consolidate like this, it would be a great idea.

If not, consider putting the major effort into paying off the smallest balance card as quickly as possible while paying the minimum payment on the other card until that card is paid off.  Then combine the two payment amounts to pay off that other card quick.  You can also play with the debt repayment calculator on this site to see what would work best in your circumstances.

Don't close these credit card accounts, though.  Having a good amount of available credit is positive.  You can use these credit cards for small purchases and pay them in full every month.

Wish you success in getting the cards paid off.  You're off to a good start, really.