Question

doyle92jess

Should I request to have a paid collection taken off of my credit score?
I am currently in the process of cleaning up my credit. I have about 4 accounts in collections. I recently paid one, and within the next month/two months, I will be paying the other two off. I am not sure if once I pay them, should I request that they be taken off of my credit, or should I just keep them on showing that they have been paid.
I have read that some people requested them to be taken off and their score had increased by about 20 points. But, in my opinion, I would think keeping them on, would show that I took responsibility for my debt, and paid it.
Also, since I have 4 accounts, two are low balances (under $200), and one is about $4,200 and another is $1,919, I was thinking maybe I should request for one of the higher amounts, and the lower amounts to be taken off?

I am just not sure what to do. I am 23 years old and have just had a huge learning experience about others getting involved with my credit. Please, no bashing, like I have seen on some other responses. I am truly trying to make things right.

Most Helpful Response

Collection account counts against you

Collection accounts are ALWAYS counted as a bad thing.... regardless of the scoring model.  The reason is because it shows lenders that you were irresponsible with the credit provided to you in the past.  Just the fact that you have an account in collections is bad.  While showing a paid account is better than showing an unpaid account, it still shows the negative of having been sent to collections instead of you having paid as agreed with the original creditor.  So negotiating for a pay to remove settlement, is ALWAYS better than paying it and leaving it on your credit report.

doyle92jess

Thank you so much! I will try to do so!