Question

heidiholosb

should i pay oldest or newest collection account
i have 9 collection accounts from 2009 to 2013 i am in a position now to work towards paying off these medical bills and didnt know if it mattered if i pay oldest or newest first thank you for all of your help

Most Helpful Response

Hi

From what I understand, any negotiations with collections agencies restarts the clock on the statute of limitations, so use caution and do some reading on that. If it were me, I would tackle the most recent (newer) collection accounts first as the older ones will be first to fall off your credit report if you can't pay all of them. It would also be advisable to try to get in writing that the collection agency will remove the account from your credit, once paid. Keep in mind, paying off an account in collections will not remove the bad mark on your credit report, it will just show as paid.

Sufianbear85

I have never had a medical collection bill I paid in full that was NOT removed completely from my credit report.   All you have to do is ask them a "Pay for Deletion Letter" in exhange for payment in full.  Some agency's do not give out the letter but will give you a verbal agreement to remove it from your report completely. And in each of these cases, they have ALWAYS removed it completely from my credit report.  I have done this a total of about 9 times in the last 6 months.