Question

ICH8RS

Should I pay off these old medical collections or let it be?
I have 5 medical debts in collections varying from $49-$1,231 each. Total of $2,606.

1 will fall off this summer, 2 will fall off in 2017, 1 in 2018, he last in 2021 (due to dispute).

I finally have the funds to pay each one off- but I am fearful of resetting the clock. Here in Kansas it states:

Statues of Limitations - Written Contacts: 3yrs, Oral Contracts: 3yrs, Promissiory Notes: 5yrs, Open-Ended Accounts: 3yrs.

It also states: judgment creditors have five years to recover on a
judgment, though a creditor can also file for renewal
of the judgment within 10 years from the date the
court issues it.

So what do you all believe I should do? Also how should I do it?

Most Helpful Response

"Statute of Limitations" and "credit reporting time period" are two DIFFERENT things.

The credit reporting time period for "most" negative info is seven years. The SOL has to do with how long you can be sued for a debt in your state.

I would attempt to get "PAY FOR DELETE AGREEMENTS" on all of them.

You said that one will remain until 2021 "due to dispute". I don't know what you are talking about, disputing does NOT change "credit reporting time periods". It is illegal for any company to reset the credit reporting time period.

The fall-off date is 7 years from the date the debt first was unpaid.  What you need to check is the date of last activity (usually payment) and anything that is past the SOL is to be disregarded since it is no longer collectable and will be fallling off.  Anything that is still within the SOL, you would want to negotiate a "pay for delete" arrangement.  That must be done in writing and the topic is covered in some of the articles here.  Please find and read them so you can understand how to proceed.