Question

Tincrow

Should I pay off my Student Loan right away, if I have bad payment history?
So I've got only 4,000 left in student loans. I've been making lump sump payments of about $1500 every month, so that I'm paid ahead by almost four years. I could pay off my student loans entirely in the next three months BUT, my payment history isn't so spectacular with a 76% payment record, with student loans being my only source or credit history.

I just got a secured card, and I am in the process of getting more cards, but for now should I keep my student loans in order to build better payment history? I'm not worried about paying a little extra interest by keeping the loans, but from a purely score oriented mindset, is it better to have the loans completely finished or to keep them on so they can pull up my repayment history?

Thanks in advance,

Most Helpful Response

For scoring purposes it is best to pay the loans down as you are doing BUT not pay them off. When you close them, you can expect a score ding. For financial purposes and for peace of mind, it may be best to go ahead and knock them out and get a small installment loan to replace them, that would cause a drop too, but then it would recover with some time. It is all in what you want to do though.