Question

myates72

Should I pay off all my debt at once?
I am selling my home and will have enough money left to pay off all of my credit cards and car loan. I want to improve my credit score and overall credit. Should I pay them off all at once or make several large monthly payments? After I pay the credit cards off should I close them?

Most Helpful Response

Nebver close a credit card account.

That would lower your credit score. 35% of your score is based on the number of open accounts you have and the available credit to debt ratio.  So NEVER close a credit card account on your own.  If you don't want to use the account any longer, Cut up the card or put it away in a drawer and don't use it. Let the creditor close the account (usually after a few years of non use)  The only accounts i recommend closing are accounts that charge an annual fee to keep the card.

Paying the cards off, weather all at once or over time makes little difference. But paying them off completely will. Some Credit Bureaus will lower your score if you owe $0. lenders like to see between 10% and 20% usage. If you're not planning on opening any new lines of credit or getting a new mortgage  Then pay them off and don't worry about it.

I would would check with the lender on the auto loan, Many have high fee's for an early pay off, so you will have to decide if its worth it to you.  Also paying off the loan will reduce the diversity of the types of credit in your file as will paying off the mortgage on the house you sold. Both will have a negitive immpact on your score for a short while. Your score should bounce back after a couple of months though.