Question

Bowtienyc

Should I pay off a collection that isn’t mine?
Hi Everyone,

I have been spending this whole year getting my credit in order. I started off with a 499 as a result of mistakes I made in college and am now at 611 Transunion with goals to get to the mid 600s which I think is possible if I pay down my balances if credit karma’s simulator is anything to go by. I have 5 credit cards all in good standing (except for the high balances which I am paying down by making payments well over the minimum) and one student loan in good standing. The only thing is I have ONE collection on my report from a Southwest Credit systems for a Comcast cable bill.. Thing is I live in NYC and Comcast does not service us. I have disputed the record to no avail, I called the Southwest and explained this and they refuse to take it off saying my social was used to open the account so it has to be me.

I can’t tell you how hard I have worked to improve my credit and to have this on my report is so aggravating, I am thinking of just paying them the $252 to at least have the account updated as “paid as agree” However, part of my knows the account is mine and that I want it to come off. What would you do? Is there a benefit to biting the bullet and paying the collection? It’s not due to come off for another 4 years.

Do not pay that account!  Instead, file a dispute online with each credit bureau showing that account.  As you learned, calling is useless because the people who answer the phone do not have the authority to make any changes.  

Can also file a complaint at Consumer Financial Protection Bureaus. File dispute with Credit Bureaus may only get that account exclude from your report but it won't  prevent collection agencies from collecting or take further action against you. You might be dealing with potential ID theft, if someone did used your personal info to open account(s) in your name. Then, you might want to get a affidavit on-line from FTC, perhaps file a police report as well.