Question

captredtop

Should I pay my older medical bill?
I have a small medical bill ($109) that was reported in Jan, 2012. I have the money, and I'm happy to pay it, except I'm worried that even paying it in full will reset the 7yr reporting clock. I have tried pay for delete...no go. Do the new rules mean that it will go away immediately if I pay it in full (because it's medical debt) ? I find this all very confusing...how it affects my credit reports/scores. thanks in advance.

A couple of points here.

First, You should pay this off, It is only 4 years old so it will stay as a negitive on your report until its paid.   

Second, You say that a "pay to delete" is a no go.  So A) you reset the clock when you contacted them to ask about the pay to delete and B) you probably were not able asked the right person, Specially if you contacted them by phone.  The minions that answer phones at collection agencies have only one directive, to collect as much as they can. They do not generally have the authority to negotiate any kind of settlement.  

I would try again. This time by mail addressed to the "Collections Manager" Sent by registered mail, Return Reciept Requested. Since the amount is fairly small offer to pay in full only if they will delete the derogitory remarks.

If that fails then your going to have to eventually pay it, But its worth a shot.