Question

ChadJT

Should I pay my balance as soon as it shows or wait for my bill to arrive
I recently starting using my first credit card for just gas with a secure line of $500 dollars and I'm unsure on how this "Not carrying a balance is good" thing works? In my niave mind I see on the discover app a couple days later after filling up that I have a balance of $30 and I think well dang I better pay that because since I have a balance... I must be carrying it! Right? No?

Is having a balance carrying a balance? Am I doing more harm or good paying off my balance right as the credit card processes/recognizes a transaction? Thanks!

You are doing fine by doing that. It is a great habit to get into. However, you should let a small balance report to the credit bureaus each month. Figure out when the credit card company reports to the credit bureaus and have a balance between one and forty dollars (less than 10% of the credit line), Pay it off then before the due date. Do some reading on Credit Card Utilization to gain a better understanding on this.