Question

er0senn1n

Should I pay balance before or after reporting date?
I've been reading a lot of mixed answers, someone people say to pay before reporting date and some say after reporting date. I would like to increase my credit score.
Capital One told me they report to credit bureau 2-3 days after statement closes. My statements generate every 25th of the month. My due date is on the 22nd. This is my current statement cycle May. 28 - Jun. 25, 2016.
When should I pay my balance, also what is the time frame I have to buy items so that it would get reported.

Most Helpful Response

Always make sure your payments are in prior to the due date.  You want payments sent in between closing date and due date in the event you are able to make multiple payments per month.  How credit works is well explained in the articles on this site so I suggest going over them thoroughly

.

When to pay

I would recommend that each payment be made prior to due date. This is obviously common sense, but what I would highly suggest is to not add any additional purchase until after the reporting date. That way your credit card will always report a lower balance for the month and then you can use your card. Also, to increase your score make absolutely sure your cards are reporting between $10-10% of your available balance each month. That way you keep your utilization down and your score going up.