Question

LMcKissack

Should I pay a really old credit card debt?
I have a credit card debt that is several years old. I owe about 2 grand. I haven't made a payment in about 4 years, maybe more. I can see it's on my Credit Karma history but can't tell if it's still affecting my score. In in a place to pay off the thing I know is affecting it (my school loan) and wondered if I should consider starting to pay the old card as well. I was told by some to let it go. CK will tell me when an account is reported delinquent but won't tell me which one. Is there a way to find out? Should I pay this card?

Most Helpful Response

First, find out how much longer the card will be reported by getting all 3 credit reports. Go to annualcreditreport.com to get them and look them over very carefully.  They should give the needed information.  File disputes on all WRONG information with the credit bureau reporting it.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed information.

Then do an Internet search for Statute of Limitations for Collections.  Check what the time frame is for your state.  I live in Oregon, so it's 6 years for me, but many states have a much lower time.  If this credit card is "out of statute" (the time limit for collections in your state has expired), then let it go.  It will drop off in 7 years from the date of last payment either way.

Get the school loan paid off because it does NOT disappear, but remains collectable until paid off, even for the rest of your life.