Question

jhercules1987

Should I pay a debt that is about to reach the 7 year mark?
I owe a collections agency (for an apartment complex) $1808 from close to 7 years ago. The debt is set to fall off in september of this year. I am able to pay off this debt but I'm debating whether or not I should just let it fall off. I'm afraid if I choose not to pay it, somehow it will affect me later on.

Most Helpful Response

Depends on your state.

Best to check the Statute of Limitations for collections for your state because, in some states that time is 10 years even though the federal reporting time is 7 years.  If the debt is "out of statute" (the legal time has passed for a collector to sue you to get paid), then let it fall off.  In a few states the statute is 10 years, so paying it off would be a good idea.  Would still be reported as having been paid to collections, which is not really great, but you wouldn't be lliving under the threat of suit.