Question

Bector06

Should I look to buy a new or used car? (Soon to be college grad)
Hi there,

I'm graduating soon and am doing research as I'm looking to buy a car (I'll need it for my job). I want to know if I should buy a new car, or if I would even qualify for a loan, or if I should look to buy a used car instead. Here are a few factors to consider:

My credit score is in the low 600s. The only activity I've had is being a co-signer for my sister for the past 3 years and she's always made payments on time.

I can put a down payment of $3,500 and my budged is $15,000 for the car.

I just finished an internship so I won't have paychecks coming in until I start my new job, which will be either in August or September. Though I do have an offer letter from my future employer showing my yearly salary (high 50k), not sure if that matters to the lenders at all.

So, would I be able to get approved for a loan? Should I just wait till I start working and try to improve my credit score over the summer? Or should I just go for a used car (that I would pay cash for)?

Thanks for your help!

Used car for cash.

You need income and employment history to get loans.

Find yourself a car for a grand or two and work on building your credit. Three credit cards and one installment loan are the basic credit building tools, but you will probably have to wait until you have income coming in. You may look around for a credit card that will let you use "income available to you". Do all the reading that you can on credit and start with a Secured credit card that is reported to all three credit bureaus.