Question

Spanky1217

Should I give up and file for bankruptcy?
Long story short. I am on SS disability. Went through a divorce that was financially devastating almost 2 years ago. Was left with all the marital debt and out of ignorance thinking we would reconcile, paid it all except when our marital home sold and I had to take money to the table to just get rid of it. As a result, I have accumulated 24,000 in credit card debt the last three years. My monthly disability just covers my debts not including gas and groceries which I have to add a minimal amount to my credit cards each month just to survive. I should add that I really want to try to reenter the work force so I am taking college courses. My payment history is excellent and my credit card history is hurting my credit score. I feel like I am trying to save the Titanic. If I filed bankruptsy and was relieved of that credit card debt, that would free up over $400 per month for gas and food. I don't know what to do. Until my divorce, my credit score was low 800's now it is 643 which according to Credit karma just dropped because of this credit card debt. Lets face it, how much worse could a bankruptsy hurt me. Please help. I am desperate.

The thing is, if your credit is only down now due to high utilization on your cards that is reversible by getting the balances down, it is only a short term problem with an easy remedy. Bankruptcy on the other hand will cause significant and long term damage and there is nothing that you can do to reverse that. I am not sure what to tell you because it does sound like you are in tough financial situation, but I just wanted to give my two cents. You may want to consult with a bankruptcy attorney to see what they say as it sounds like it would be difficult for you to pay off the 24 grand.